WELCOME TO THE 2021 SWIM TEAM SEASON!
This season, we are pleased to welcome two new coaches and one returning coach - all of whom are familiar faces! Our staff this year will be:
- Mike Grill - Head Coach
- Steven Leduc - Head Assistant Coach
- Alyssa Knauf (returning after a 2-yr hiatus!) - Head Assistant Coach
- Garrett Smith - Assistant Coach
- Edrick Nguyen (new!) - Assistant Coach
- Maggie Shi (new!) - Assistant Coach
We are also VERY happy to report that this season will look and feel more familiar to a normal NVSL swim season than last year’s pandemic edition. However, there still will be some protocols in place to mitigate the possible spread of COVID-19. Here is what we do know:
- We will have our traditional A Meets on Saturdays
- B meets are not sanctioned NVSL events. However, our local B meet league has decided to move forward and B meets will be held on Monday evenings.
- No decision has been made yet regarding Divsional Relays, All-Star Relays, Divsionals, or All-Stars. Hopefully, we will have a decision from the league in the next week or two.
- The league is considering a number of measures to protect unvaccinated children and family members. Possibilities include requiring masks for all coaches, swimmers, and meet workers (deck officials, table workers, etc.). As soon these decisions are made, we will pass along that information.
- When the league makes its decisions regarding its required COVID-19 protocols, all Cardinal Swim Team coaches, swimmers, and family members attending meets will comply with those requirements.
Consistent with the request the club has made of all members and guests to wear masks in bottle-neck and high traffic areas, the swim team will use the following COVID-19 practices:
- Swimmers and parents should wear masks when entering and exiting the pool through the Main Entrance.
- Swimmers and parents should wear masks when using the locker rooms and bathrooms.
- Swimmers should wear masks when congregating in groups and not in pool.
- During practices, there will be no restrictions on the number of swimmers per lane.
- While in the pool, swimmers will not be asked to social distance.
- Coaches - including junior coaches - who are fully vaccinated will not wear masks while in the pool instructing swimmers.
TRYOUT INFORMATION (Tues 6/1)
Swimmers of all ages who are new to the Swim Team this season MUST attend the tryout scheduled for THIS TUESDAY, JUNE 1 from 4:00 - 5:00 PM. In order to be eligible to swim on the team, all swimmers at tryouts must be able to:
- Swimmers MUST be able to swim 1 unassisted length of the pool (25 meters) freestyle
- Swimmers MUST be able to swim 1 unassisted length of the pool (25 meters) backstroke
The swim team coaches will use their discretion to evaluate each swimmer. The coaches will take into consideration the water temperature as well as the swimmer’s general level of comfort with having to perform in front of strangers.
Families will receive an email either on Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning letting them know the outcome of their swimmer’s tryout.
Any questions regarding the tryout should be directed to Coach Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRACTICE DATES AND TIMES
Swimmers should arrive at the pool 5 - 10 minutes before their practice’s scheduled start time, and be prepared to jump into the pool (caps and goggles on) promptly at the beginning of practice.
JUNE 2 - JUNE 11 (MON - FRI)
- 4:00 - 5:15 PM: Ages 13-14 and 15-18
- 5:15 - 6:15 PM: Ages 9 - 12
- 6:15 - 7:00 PM: Ages 8 & Under
JUNE 14 - JULY 30 (MON - FRI)
- 9:00 - 10:15 AM: Ages 13-14 and 15-18
- 10:15 - 11:15 AM: Ages 9 - 12
- 11:15 - 12:00 PM: Ages 8 & Under
JUNE 14 - JULY 30 (TUE - WED - THUR)
- 5:00 - 6:00 PM
- This practice is intended for swimmers who cannot attend their morning practice.
- Swimmers of all ages can attend this 1-hour session.
- Only 2 coaches attend this practice.
- Swimmers are typically grouped by ability rather than age.
- Swimmers may not receive as much individualized attention due to the limited number of coaches and mixed-age groupings.
THE COACHING STAFF
Head Coach - Mike Grill (email@example.com)
Head Assistant Coach - Steven Leduc (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Head Assistant Coach - Alyssa Knauf (email@example.com)
Assistant Coach - Garrett Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Assistant Coach - Edrick Nguyen (email@example.com)
Assistant Coach - Maggie Shi (firstname.lastname@example.org)